ePub Mapping the Victorian Social Body (SUNY series, Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century) download
by Pamela K. Gilbert
Recommend this journal.
Recommend this journal.
Mapping the Victorian Social Body (SUNY series, Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century). The Citizen??s Body: Desire, Health, and the Social in Victorian England by Pamela K. Gilbert (2007-08-08). 73(4 used & new offers)
Mapping the Victorian Social Body (SUNY series, Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century). by Pamela K. Gilbert. 73(4 used & new offers).
Start by marking Mapping the Victorian Social Body as Want to Read .
Start by marking Mapping the Victorian Social Body as Want to Read: Want to Read savin. ant to Read. The cholera epidemics that plagued London in the nineteenth century were a turning point in the science of epidemiology and public health, and the use of maps to pinpoint the source of the disease initiated an explosion of medical and social mapping not only in London but throughout the British Empire as well.
By Pamela K. Mapping the Victorian Social Body (Studies in the Long Nineteenth Cent.
Literary Remains Representations of Death and Burial in Victorian England. Figure . John Claudius Loudon’s design for a churchyard no longer used for burial, with lines showing the direction in which walks may be made without removing any headstones or other monuments. My aim here is to map the many and varied representations of burial in Victorian culture to show how the arguments over burial reform, strikingly evident in the novels under consideration, reflected the larger sociopolitical and religious debates and processes taking place in the nineteenth century.
Pamela K. Gilbert is Professor of English at the University of Florida.
SUNY Series, Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century. Immigration in the 19th Century, 1800-1914 - Canada, USA, The Guianas, Peru, South America, Africa, South Africa, Mauritius, Reunion, India, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines, Hawaii, China, Korea Map. by: Maps. Subjects: Medical geography Great Britain History 19th century Maps. Cartography Great Britain History 19th century Maps. Cholera India History 19th century Maps. AIDS (Disease) Africa Maps. The Victorian Soldier in Africa. by: Spiers, Edward M. Published: (2005).
First things first: the rather grand title of Pamela Gilbert's book gives little .
First things first: the rather grand title of Pamela Gilbert's book gives little clue to the fact that this is a specialized and thematic study of social and medical mapping in Victorian Britain, with rather brief nods to British India and to the influence of disease maps on literary culture. It takes quite a lot to overcome colonic irritation, but in this. We might readily place this book in the context of other literary studies that, admittedly very variously, describe a 'spatialturn'
Pamela K. Gilbert, Mapping the Victorian Social Body (Albany, NY. . Gilbert, Mapping the Victorian Social Body (Albany, NY: SUNY Press, 2004), 1. oogle Scholar. 3. J. Hillis Miller, Topographies (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1995), 1. Peter Widdowson, Hardy in History: A Study in Literary Sociology (New York: Routledge, 1989). 12. Raymond Williams, The Country and the City (New York: Oxford University Press, 1973), 208–209. Andrea O’Reilly Herrera asserts that In Villette, the social displacement and alienation Lucy experienced in England is temporarily magnified, for she is literally an alien on foreign turf ;x seeGoogle Scholar.
How cholera epidemics affected Victorian perceptions of the body and the nation. SUNY Series, Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century. State University of New York Press. In part by historical accident, epidemic disease and especially cholera became foundational to the understanding of the social body.
- Defending a Way of Life: An American Community in the Nineteenth Century (SUNY series in American Labor History) ebook
- Religious Therapeutics: Body and Health in Yoga, Ayurveda, and Tantra (SUNY Series in Religious Studies) ebook
- The Making of Modern Libya: State Formation, Colonization, and Resistance, 1830-1932 (SUNY series in the Social and Economic History of the Middle East) ebook
- Manly Leaders in Nineteenth-Century British Literature (SUNY series, Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century) ebook
- Cholera and Nation: Doctoring the Social Body in Victorian England (SUNY series, Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century) ebook
- Abby Hopper Gibbons: Prison Reformer and Social Activist (SUNY series in Women, Crime, and Criminology) ebook
- Home and Its Dislocations in Nineteenth-Century France (SUNY Series, The Margins of Literature) ebook
- Empire and the Animal Body: Violence, Identity and Ecology in Victorian Adventure Fiction (Anthem Nineteenth-Century Series) ebook
- Disease, Desire, and the Body in Victorian Women's Popular Novels (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture) ebook
- Shock, Memory and the Unconscious in Victorian Fiction (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture) ebook