ePub Livy's Written Rome download
by Mary Jaeger
Livy's Written Rome book. Start by marking Livy's Written Rome as Want to Read: Want to Read savin. ant to Read.
Livy's Written Rome book.
Discover new books on Goodreads. See if your friends have read any of Mary Jaeger's books. Mary Jaeger’s Followers. None yet. Mary Jaeger.
Rome's wealth of history also captured the imagination of the ancients. Livy's Written Rome," by Mary Jaeger, shows how one writer explored the relationship between events in Roman history, the landscape in which they occurred, and the monuments that commemorated them.
Livy's Written Rome, by Mary Jaeger, shows how one writer explored the relationship between events in Roman history, the landscape in which they occurred, and the monuments that commemorated them. While Augustus reconstructed the physical city to reflect the ideology of the Empire, the historian Livy created a written Rome and taught his readers to look beyond the city's dramatically altered landscape. In so doing, they gained insight into the lessons of the lost Republic.
Livy's Written Rome will be of interest to classicists and historians, students of ancient historiography and classical rhetoric, as well as general readers interested in memory, monuments, and historical narrative. The University of Michigan Press.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Livy's Written Rome more. In the last surviving book of his history of Rome, the Ab Urbe Condita, Livy describes how the proconsul L. Aemilius Paullus, after defeating the Macedonian king Perseus at Pydna, traveled through Greece, visiting sites famous in history and literature (4. 7. Publication Date: 1999.
Discover Book Depository's huge selection of Mary Jaeger books online. Free delivery worldwide on over 20 million titles.
Archimedes' story, Mary Jaeger argues, thus becomes a locus where .
Archimedes' story, Mary Jaeger argues, thus becomes a locus where writers explore the intersection of Greek and Roman culture, and as such it plays an important role in Roman self-definition. Jaeger uses the biography of Archimedes as a hermeneutic tool, providing insight into the construction of the traditional historical narrative about the Roman conquest of the Greek world and the Greek cultural invasion of Rome. Helen King, Times Literary Supplement "An absolutely wonderful book on a truly original and important topic.
- The Mammoth Book of How It Happened: Ancient Rome ebook
- The Romans in the Age of Augustus ebook
- Fighting for Rome: Poets and Caesars, History and Civil War ebook
- Rome and a Villa ebook
- The History of Rome, Book II From the Abolition of the Monarchy in Rome to the Union of Italy ebook
- Bibliographic Essays on the Architecture of the Ancient City of Rome: The City of Rome ebook
- AD 410: The Year That Shook Rome ebook
- The Story of Rome (Young Reading) ebook
- National Geographic Investigates Ancient Rome: Archaeolology Unlocks the Secrets of Rome's Past ebook
- A Commentary on Livy, Books VI-X: Volume II: Books VII-VIII ebook