ePub Language, Emotion, and Politics in South India: The Making of a Mother Tongue (Contemporary Indian Studies) download
by Lisa Mitchell
Lisa Mitchell's book is an outstanding addition to this fine list.
ambitious and creative work. Feb 2010 (Cultural Anthropology - AAA). riginal and persuasive. Lisa Mitchell's book is an outstanding addition to this fine list.
Contemporary Indian Studies Published in association with the American Institute of Indian Studies Susan S. .100. 4. From Pandit to Primer: Pedagogy and Its Mediums
100. From Pandit to Primer: Pedagogy and Its Mediums.
Lists with This Book. This book is not yet featured on Listopia.
Got it. We value your privacy.
Corresponding author. Recommend this journal. The Journal of Asian Studies.
For that reason, along with its readable and forceful prose, this book makes a lasting contribution to knowledge and offers a valuable addition to any reading list on modern South Asian history.
What makes someone willing to die, not for a nation, but for a language? In the mid-20th century, southern India saw a wave of dramatic suicides in the name of language. Lisa Mitchell traces the colonial-era changes in knowledge and practice linked to the Telugu language that lay behind some of these events. As identities based on language came to appear natural, the road was paved for the political reorganization of the Indian state along linguistic lines after independence.
- Spectrum of Jainism in Southern India ebook
- Environment and Ethnicity in India (Cambridge Studies in Indian History and Society) ebook
- Land, Politics and Trade in South Asia, 18th to 20th Centuries ebook
- Contemporary India and South Africa: Legacies, Identities, Dilemmas ebook
- The Goddess and the Nation: Mapping Mother India ebook
- Caste, Society and Politics in India from the Eighteenth Century to the Modern Age (The New Cambridge History of India) ebook
- Party System Change in South India: Political Entrepreneurs, Patterns and Processes (Routledge Advances in South Asian Studies) ebook
- The Scandal of the State: Women, Law, and Citizenship in Postcolonial India (Next Wave: New Directions in Women's Studies) ebook
- Social Change and Political Discourse in India: Class Formation and Political Transformation in Post-colonial India v.4: Structures of Power, ... Political Discourse in India) (Vol 4) ebook
- The Making of India: A Historical Survey ebook