ePub Medicine as Culture: Illness, Disease and the Body download
by Deborah Lupton
Trudy Rudge, Professor of Nursing, University of Sydney A welcome update of a text that has become a mainstay of the medical sociologist's library. The book explores the ways in which medicine and health care are sociocultural constructions, ranging from popular media and elite cultural representations of illness to the power dynamics of the doctor-patient relationship.
Lupton's core contrast between lay perspectives on illness and medical power is a useful beginning point for courses teaching health and illness from a socio-cultural perspective. Arthur Frank Department of Sociology, University of Calgary.
Books for People with Print Disabilities. Internet Archive Books. Uploaded by AltheaB on September 27, 2011.
Social medicine, Medicine and the humanities, Creative ability in medicine, Sick, Body, Human. Books for People with Print Disabilities. SIMILAR ITEMS (based on metadata). Terms of Service (last updated 12/31/2014).
The books teases out how medicine and health care are sociocultural constructions, ranging from mass media and high cultural representations of illness, disease, and health . Deborah Lupton is an independent sociologist.
The books teases out how medicine and health care are sociocultural constructions, ranging from mass media and high cultural representations of illness, disease, and health care workers to the power dynamics of the doctor-patient relationship. She was formerly Professor of Sociology and Cultural Studies at Charles Sturt University, Australia. Библиографические данные. Medicine as Culture: Illness, Disease and the Body.
A blog by sociologist Deborah Lupton. Complete list of my books. The internet and social media and how they contribute to lay health knowledge and patient support. complementary and alternative medicine.
Medicine as Culture has become the classic text for the sociology of health and illness, combining perspectives drawn from a wide variety of disciplines including sociology, anthropology, social history and cultural studies. The books teases out how medicine and health care are sociocultural constructions, ranging from mass media and high cultural representations of illness, disease, and health care workers to the power dynamics of the doctor-patient relationship.
Medicine As Culture book. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Start by marking Medicine As Culture: Illness, Disease And The Body In Western Societies as Want to Read: Want to Read savin. ant to Read.
Medicine as Culture: Illness, Disease and the Body. Sage Publications, 1994. The Imperative of Health: Public Health and the Regulated Body. Public Health and the Regulated Body, 1995. Food, the Body and the Self. The New Public Health: Health and Self in the age of Risk. A Peterson, D Lupton.
Drawing on the tradition of the sociology of health and illness, Deborah Lupton directs readers to an understanding of medicine, health care, illness and disease from a sociocultural perspective
The Third Edition has been updated to cover new and emerging areas of interest including: the role of computerized communication technologies in providing access to medical information; new medical technologies and how they contribute to people′s understandings of their bodies and selfhood; how bioethical issues and dilemmas are negotiated in clinical settings; the changing role of nurses in healthcare provision; and new research in neuroscience on the plasticity of the brain and the notion of ′brain types′ and how this research contributes to novel understandings of the brain in lay and medical cultures.
- Health, Illness, and Medicine in Canada ebook
- Medical Sociology and Old Age: Towards a sociology of health in later life (Critical Studies in Health and Society) ebook
- Professionalism in Mental Healthcare: Experts, Expertise and Expectations (Cambridge Medicine (Paperback)) ebook
- Coping with Physical Illness: 2: New Perspectives (Environmental Science Research) ebook
- The Sociology of Medical Science and Technology (Sociology of Health and Illness Monographs) ebook
- In the Kingdom of the Sick: A Social History of Chronic Illness in America ebook
- Handbook of the Sociology of Health, Illness, and Healing: A Blueprint for the 21st Century (Handbooks of Sociology and Social Research) ebook
- Critical Care Nursing: A History (Studies in Health, Illness, and Caregiving) ebook
- Sickness and the State: Health and Illness in Colonial Malaya, 1870-1940 ebook
- Sociology of Health, Healing, and Illness, The (5th Edition) ebook