ePub The Ghost of the Executed Engineer: Technology and the Fall of the Soviet Union (RUSSIAN RESEARCH CENTER STUDIES) download
by Loren Graham
Loren Graham has written a wonderful book about the relationship between technology and society. This remarkable book by Loren R. Graham deals with one of the many independent minds crushed by the Soviet government.
Loren Graham has written a wonderful book about the relationship between technology and society.
Graham highlights the harsh irrationalities built into the Soviet system - the . The Ghost is nominally about an engineer named Peter Palchinsky.
Graham highlights the harsh irrationalities built into the Soviet system - the world's most inefficient steel mill in Magnito-gorsk, the gigantic and ill-conceived hydro-electric plant on the Dnieper River, the infamously cruel and mislocated construction of the White Sea Canal. Time and again, we see the effect of policies that ignore not only workers' and consumers' needs but also sound management and engineering precepts.
This book is very impressive.
Graham continues with an analysis and criticism of 3 other large scale projects that ultimately proved to be just as ill planned and impractical as Dneprostroi – The Magnitogorsk mine, the White Sea Canal and the BAM transcontinental railroad. This book is very impressive. Graham uses Palchinsky's story to illustrate a larger social story about the fate of the Soviet technological intelligentsia.
We’re dedicated to reader privacy so we never track you. We never accept ads. But we still need to pay for servers and staff. I know we could charge money, but then we couldn’t achieve our mission: a free online library for everyone. This is our day. Today. To bring the best, most trustworthy information to every internet reader. I believe all of this is doable, if we pull together to create the internet as it was meant to b. .
Category: Professionals & Academics, Biographies & Memoirs, Europe, History, Military, Russia, History & Philosophy, Science, Technology, Social Sciences.
Dueling book cover. ay the best design win! Start Voting. If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and color, we would find some other cause for prejudice by noon. More: Prejudice quotes. Category: Professionals & Academics, Biographies & Memoirs, Europe, History, Military, Russia, History & Philosophy, Science, Technology, Social Sciences.
His ghost leads readers through the miasma of Soviet technology and industry, pointing. ISBN13:9780674354371. Release Date:February 1996.
Timothy E. O'Connor (a1). University of Northern Iowa.
The Ghost of the Executed Engineer: Technology and the Fall of the Soviet Union. In this compelling study of the treatment of enemy minorities in the Russian Empire during the First World War, Eric Lohr uncovers a dramatic story of mass deportations, purges, expropriations, and popular violence.
- Science and Philosophy in the Soviet Union ebook
- Who's Who in the Soviet Union: A Biographical Encyclopedia of 5,000 Leading Personalities in the Soviet Union ebook
- The Jews of the Soviet Union: The History of a National Minority (Cambridge Russian, Soviet and Post-Soviet Studies) ebook
- Science, Philosophy and Human Behavior in the Soviet Union ebook
- The Soviet Superpower: Soviet Union, 1945-80 (Studies in modern history) ebook
- Soviet But Not Russian: The Other Peoples of the Soviet Union ebook
- Politics, Paradigms, and Intelligence Failures: Why So Few Predicted the Collapse of the Soviet Union ebook
- Russia and the Soviet Union: An historical introduction ebook
- Environmental Management in the Soviet Union (Cambridge Russian Paperbacks) ebook
- Soviet Workers and the Collapse of Perestroika: The Soviet Labour Process and Gorbachev's Reforms, 1985-1991 (Cambridge Russian, Soviet and Post-Soviet Studies) ebook