ePub Globalizing the Sacred: Religion Across the Americas download
by Manuel A. Vasquez,Marie F. Marquardt
Manuel A. Vásquez is an associate professor of religion at the University of Florida, Gainesville.
Manuel A. Marie Friedmann Marquardt is a P. candidate in the sociology of religion at Emory University.
An exploration of how globalization affects the evolving roles of religion in the Americas. The origins of this volume date to an apparition of the Virgin Mary in 1996. Just a few days before Christmas, she appeared in iridescent shades on the windows of a bank building nestled between strip malls and gas stations amid the suburban sprawl of Clearwater, Florida. Taking advantage of the image's appearance in our backyard, we traveled to the site to study the phenomenon (Vásquez and Marquardt 2000).
Globalizing the Sacred book. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Start by marking Globalizing the Sacred: Religion Across the Americas as Want to Read: Want to Read savin. ant to Read.
Further, the book offers alternative theoretical and methodological tools to understand the increasing complexity of religious life in the Americas. Manuel A. Vásquez, Marie F. Marquardt.
Globalizing the Sacred: Religion Across the Americas (with Marie Friedmann Marquardt) (Rutgers University Press 2003). The Brazilian Popular Church and the Crisis of Modernity (Cambridge University Press 1998). Works with References to Manuel Vasquez. Rethinking Religion in the Theatre of Grotowski (Routledge 2017). Religious Affects: Animality, Evolution, and Power (Duke 2015).
Download books for free. Globalizing the Sacred: Religion Across the Americas.
Globalizing the sacred - Free download as PDF File . df), Text File . xt) or read online for free. religion across the americas. Vasquez, Manuel . and Marquardt, Marie . . New Brunswick, NJ, USA: Rutgers University Press, 2003.
French and German tourists join Mexican migrant workers to venerate the image of the Virgin Mary at a strip mall in Florida; Latino gang members, deported from the United States to home countries they barely know, find Jesus in transnational churches; U.S. evangelicals use electronic media to preach a “neo liberal” gospel of wealth and health to landless peasants in remote indigenous villages in Guatemala. These are just some examples of how religion in the Americas today intersects in complex ways with the economic, political, and cultural dimensions of globalization.Drawing on case studies in the United States and Latin America, Manuel A. Vásquez and Marie Friedmann Marquardt explore the evolving roles of religion in the Americas in the face of globalization, transnational migration, the rapid growth of culture industries, the rise of computer mediated technologies, and the crisis of modernity. Combining ethnographic research in local congregations, studies of material culture and sacred space, textual analyses, and approaches to mass and electronic media, the authors challenge dominant paradigms in sociology of religion, such as the secularization and rational choice models. Further, the book offers alternative theoretical and methodological tools to understand the increasing complexity of religious life in the Americas.By illustratingthe challenges that scholars and students must confront in order to understand the complexity of today’s religious landscape, Globalizing the Sacred makes both important theoretical and methodological contributions to the study of religion’s role in social change.
- Mediating Migration (Global Media and Communication) ebook
- The United States and the other Americas (Macmillan social studies) ebook
- Braceros: Migrant Citizens and Transnational Subjects in the Postwar United States and Mexico ebook
- Religion at the Corner of Bliss and Nirvana: Politics, Identity, and Faith in New Migrant Communities ebook
- Vedanta for the West: The Ramakrishna Movement in the United States (Religion in North America) ebook
- The Globalization of Contentious Politics: The Amazonian Indigenous Rights Movement (Indigenous Peoples and Politics) ebook
- America and the Americas: The United States in the Western Hemisphere (UNITED STATES AND THE AMERICAS) ebook
- Migrant: Agricultural Workers in America's Northwest (Case studies in cultural anthropology) ebook
- Panama and the United States: The End of the Alliance (The United States and the Americas) ebook
- Latin American Liberation Theology: Religion in the Americas (Religion in the Americas, V. 1) ebook