ePub The Hidden Game of Football download
by Bob Carroll
For football lovers - this book will challenge your conventional thinking. This book has given me a completely different outlook on the game of football and is still highly relevant to present day football.
For football lovers - this book will challenge your conventional thinking. The authors use statistics (and by statistics, I am talking standard deviation and regression analysis AS WELL AS yards, percentages and attempts) to debunk myths, challenge assumptions and help the reader understand the mathematics and the myths behind football. It's strange to read quotes written in the 80's that seem to apply directly to today's game.
Cold Hard Football Facts and Football Outsiders both owe a huge debt to this book. It is the first book of its kind to reevaluate stats and rethink which ones are important.
Dec 17, 2018 James Swenson rated it really liked it. An early (1988) classic on the ical analysis of football. Cold Hard Football Facts and Football Outsiders both owe a huge debt to this book. It's not a narrative, and very numbers-heavy, but of you're paying attention, you're seeing the future of football.
Robert Nuehardt Carroll Jr. (July 10, 1936 – August 25, 2009) was an American historian and sportswriter.
Pro Football Reference does an Expected Points metric. Statisticians looked at decades worth of play by plays to develop points expectations for every play, based on down, distance, yard line. The result of the actual play changes this figure. dsPerCarry sonsSports. 3 ответов 3 ретвитов 20 отметок Нравится. I’ve talked before about this graph, which is Miami’s rolling 3-week game score differential, how similar it is to NE’s famous uptrend.
The Hidden Game of Football is an influential book on American football statistics published in 1988 and written by Bob Carroll, John Thorn, and Pete Palmer. It was the first systematic statistical approach to analyzing American football in a book and is still considered the seminal work on the topic. Sabermetrics, statistical analysis of baseball. APBRmetrics, statistical analysis of basketball.
Items related to The Hidden Game of Football. Carroll, Bob; Palmer, Pete; Thorn, John The Hidden Game of Football. ISBN 13: 9780446514149. The Hidden Game of Football. Carroll, Bob; Palmer, Pete; Thorn, John.
THE HIDDEN GAME OF FOOTBALL By Bob Carroll, Pete Palmer and John Thorn. Still, ''The Hidden Game of Football'' draws a few flags. 415 pp. New York: Warner Books. Perhaps the biggest oddity of the 1980's sports-book boom is the preponderance of material on baseball compared with that on professional football. The biggest gap is in the field of statistics. championship game the ''Freezer Bowl'' (that one was played the following year).
Robert Nuehardt Carroll, Junior. was an American historian and sportswriter. He was co-author of The Hidden Game of Football (with John Thorn and Pete Palmer), as well as Total Football: The Official Encyclopedia of the National Football League. Carroll was the author of more than twenty books, most notably Pro Football: When the Grass Was Real and Baseball Between the Lies. His non-sports books included The Importance of Napoleon and The Battle of Stalingrad. Carroll was born in Wheeling, West Virginia.
Robert Nuehardt Carroll, Jr. Posts about Bob Carroll. He was co-author of
- Wrexham Football Club 1872-1950 (Images of Sport) ebook
- Football and Its Fans: Supporters and Their Relations With the Games, 1885-1985 (Sport, politics, and culture) ebook
- Official 1997 National Football League Record Fact Book (OFFICIAL NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE RECORD AND FACT BOOK) ebook
- Giving the Game Away: Football, Politics and Culture on Five Continents (Sport, Politics and Culture) ebook
- Scientific Football 2008: The Latest Release from Pro Football's Statistical Iconoclast ebook
- Football: The First Hundred Years: The Untold Story (Sport in the Global Society) ebook
- Rugby League (Know the Game) ebook
- Cal-Stanford: The Big Game- A Game-by-Game History of America's Greatest Football Rivalry ebook
- The Sunday Game: At the Dawn of Professional Football (Ohio History and Culture) ebook
- The Pictorial History of Football ebook